Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title: ||Asserting the Portuguese Civil Engineering Identity: the Role Played by the École des ponts et chaussées|
|Authors: ||Matos, Ana Cardoso de|
|Editors: ||Matos, Ana Cardoso de|
Diogo, Maria Paula
Caminho de ferro
Ministério das Obras Públicas,Comércio e Industria
Viagens de estudo
Mobilidade de experts
|Issue Date: ||2009|
|Citation: ||Ana Cardoso de Matos, “Asserting the Portuguese Civil Engineering Identity: the Role Played by the École des ponts et chaussées”. In Ana Cardoso de Matos, M. Paula Diogo, Irina Gouzevitch,André Grelon(ed.), Les enjeux identitaires des ingénieurs : entre la formation et l’action/The Quest for a Professional Identity: Engineers between Training and Action, Lisboa, Colibri/CIDEHUS/CIUHCT, 2009, pp. 177-209 [ISBN: 978-972-772-879-4]|
|Abstract: ||This paper focuses on the Portuguese engineers who returned to Portugal following a training period at École des Ponts et Chaussées, in Paris between 1831 and 1870.
During the 19th century, in spite of the creation of engineering schools, such as the Military Academy (1836), the Polytechnic School of Lisbon (1837), the Polytechnic Academy of Oporto (1837), the number of engineers to ensure the planning and the direction of the public works remained insufficient. Moreover, the education provided by these schools granted almost no room for fieldwork. Like in the other European States, some Portuguese engineers tried to complete their training in foreign countries, in particular by attending schools such as the École des Ponts et Chaussées de Paris.
The studies which they carried out as well as the projects and the “missions d’études” enabled them to intervene in various areas, from the construction of bridges and railways to agricultural hydraulics on their return to Portugal. Following their return, these engineers played an important role both in the transfer of knowledge as well as in updating Portuguese engineering. They designed and directed various public works and transmitted to their subordinates the most modern methods of planning and construction of roads, railways and seaports. In addition, they were appointed to political and administrative positions in particular within the Ministério das Obras Públicas, Comércio e Indústria created in 1852, in the context of which they had to evaluate, authorize or reject various engineering projects. Finally, some were appointed professors in Portuguese engineering schools where they taught new theories, methods and practices of civil engineering which they had learnt in Paris or during trips abroad.|
|Appears in Collections:||HIS - Publicações - Capítulos de Livros|
CIDEHUS - Publicações - Capítulos de Livros
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.